Home l Site map
        Vision
        The School
        Our Aspirations
        Principal’s Message
        Our Founder





You are here: Home > About > Our Founder

Shri G. S. Rawat

(12 Aug 1914 - 6 JUNE 1994)

Shri G S Rawat was a karmayogi with a deep passion for education. Coming from a small Garhwal village in Uttrakhand, Shri Rawat won an Intermediate scholarship after becoming the High School district topper. With a Bachelor of Science degree from Lucknow University, he joined the Ministry of Defence, Government of India, from where he took voluntary retirement as Deputy Director after a diligent career.

Shri Rawat started his mission way back in 1945 with a Nursery School. His commitment saw him take on a twin-fold task: night classes for High School students along with intermediate for private students. With the passage of time, he formed the South Delhi Education Society (Regd.) and successfully opened a chain of public schools South Delhi Public School; Central Public School; Modern Public School; South Delhi Tiny Tots and Delhi Nursery Teachers’ Training Institute.

Serving as Secretary and Manager of these bodies till his last breath, his legacy was successfully carried forward by his son Shri Dilip Singh Rawat, a noted figure in social and political activities, till his untimely death on 9 May 2001. But the third generation of the family, Ms Dipikka D Rawat (M Com, B Ed., MBA) has held aloft the torch with the same spirit and zeal, and is the Secretary of South Delhi Education Society and the Chairperson of the Institution.

Started in 1966 as a primary school (initially named Sharda Public School) in A-Block, Defence Colony, New Delhi by the South Delhi Education Society (Regd.)

Encouraged with the performance of the School, in 1968 the School management succeeded in getting 1.378 acre land allotted at the present site.

Upgraded as a Middle School (15 July, 1972) with recognition from Directorate of Education, Delhi, the Institute shifted to its new semi-constructed premises.

The school was upgraded to the Secondary stage in 1982, and then to Senior Secondary stage in 1983. Finally, this sprawling three-storeyed building with all facilities and amenities was completed.

Affiliated to the CBSE for All India Secondary / Senior Secondary Certificate Examinations, a Managing Committee comprising 21 members including representatives of Directorate of Education, teachers and parent are the guiding factotum of this institute.

 

 

 

Copyright 2016. South Delhi Public School. All rights reserved. Mandatory Compliance: Click here
Credits: GeoCircle